August started construction of the lake in 1923 and finished in 1924.

A dam was built of large rocks and stones cemented together. But when it was partially completed, heavy rains fell and washed it away, making it necessary to start over. This time they were able to get it solidly cemented so it wouldn't wash out again.

The water began to rise and in a fairly short time a pond started to form, which continued to grow until it became a beautiful lake.

 

 


The top photo shows August George Schwerman's initials carved on the spillway in 1924.

The photo on the right may be carved by his son, Earl?

The spillway has stood for 81 years.
It will finally be replaced this summer of 2005.

Both photos were recently taken by Jerry Kroll.